T20 World Cup 2022: Zimbabwe on Thursday defeated Pakistan by one run in a T20 World Cup Super 12 clash at the Optus Stadium in Perth. After elected to bat first, Zimbabwe started brightly, but Pakistan made a strong comeback to restrict them to a total of 130/8. Pakistan after chasing a target of 131, Pakistan faltered as none of their batters, barring Shan Masood (44), could score above 22. Pakistan ultimately managed 129/8 in 20 overs. This was Pakistan’s second defeat in two games and their road to the semifinal has become difficult now.
How Pakistan can qualify for T20 World Cup semi-finals after bitter defeat to Zimbabwe
- Firstly of all, Pakistan needs to win all their remaining three matches.
- Secondly, the men in green must win all three matches by a big margin to maintain a healthy net run rate.
- Thirdly, they must hope that other results go their way- including South Africa losing to India and Pakistan.
- Zimbabwe losing their remaining two matches out of three (versus India, Netherlands, and Bangladesh)
- Further, they must hope that Bangladesh lose another game.
- Subsequent to the three wins, it is out of Pakistan’s hands as their qualification will largely depend on the other teams’ position in their group.
- If India, South Africa, or Zimbabwe win two more games from their remaining three contests, they will end up with more than six points and that will result in an elimination for Pakistan.
- Zimbabwe have a fair chance of qualifying to the next round after having to split points with South Africa on 24 October in a washed out fixture.
Two very important matches for Pakistan:
India vs South Africa
Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe
Pakistan need India and Bangladesh to win these to stand any chance of qualification. 1992 World Cup vibes #T20WorldCup
— Farid Khan (@_FaridKhan) October 27, 2022
Here are the remaining fixtures in Group 2, Super 12 stage
- October 30 — Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, Netherlands vs Pakistan and India vs South Africa
- November 2 — Zimbabwe vs Netherlands and India vs Bangladesh
- November 3 — Pakistan vs South Africa
- November 6 — South Africa vs Netherlands, Pakistan vs Bangladesh and India vs Zimbabwe
Pakistan's chances for semifinal qualification:
• Win all their remaining matches
•India must win all the remaining matches
•South Africa to lose at least 2 matches
•Zimbabwe to lose at least 2 matches
— Albert Mathew Muthukulathil (@albert_mathew84) October 28, 2022